Ruminations

Blog dedicated primarily to randomly selected news items; comments reflecting personal perceptions

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Bizarre




Yesterday's freezing rain was relentless, a never-ending onslaught, pinging on the windows, clinging to the glass, forming peculiar shapes and swirls. No opportunity to get out for our daily ravine walk. Neither we nor our little dogs would much appreciate being assaulted by freezing rain, ice pellets and struggling to make our way along the miseried trails. Besides which, the opportunity to be hit by flying branches and cracked tree boughs wasn't an appealing thought.

Instead I took a few photographs of the ice-covered trees in our backyard and along our front walkway. And we took turns wheedling Button and Riley out into the backyard, in the teeming, freezing, miserable rain, from time to time. They were hugely unenthusiastic. And we were quite beastly to insist that out they go for their regular bodily functions and deposits.

It should have been an ideal day for writing. To hie myself upstairs to my study-computer room and create something worthwhile in the writing department. I'd earlier spoken with our granddaughter, encouraging her own writing efforts. On this day, however, what I'd said to her was not quite encouraging; her installment wasn't nearly the quality of her previous days' creative writing and she felt slightly dejected. But admitted that she felt the same way about what she'd written. Her heart just wasn't in it yesterday, isn't that a coincidence?

And how's this for a coincidence, or however it might be characterized: the night before I'd had a dream, a warning, a premonition. However it is described, I recalled it when I awoke, and then shrugged it off. A month earlier when I'd been composing one of my blogs the cursor suddenly went berserk, and just kept running off. I'd had to exit, wanted to shut down the computer, because I was getting all manner of odd signals, from clunking, warning or chastising sounds, to balking, on instructions. In fact, the computer defied my attempts to shut down legally, and I was forced to do an illegal shut-down.

This had happened to me on several other occasions, some months apart, but latterly more frequently, and I found it alarming, to say the least. The thought occurred that it was the mouse malfunctioning, and so I changed to a new mouse. For a full month things went along splendidly, and then I had that dream. And later that very evening, bloody damn if it didn't happen again. Obviously, not the mouse. I tried to download the latest version of Microsoft's anti-malware, but although I went through the process and received confirmation of successful download, the icon was nowhere to be seen on my desktop.

I tried to backdate the computer settings to previous settings, earlier in the month (I had a week earlier deleted old settings, so only December's were available), and in going through the process I discovered when it was completed that it was unable to complete the task. Lately my virus protection hasn't been capturing any viruses or threats, where formerly at least several were captured, isolated and removed on a regular, daily basis. I've obviously got something awry with the computer.

Damn!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
()() Follow @rheytah Tweet